Looking back on the year

Good evening guys, and welcome to the last CCC post this 2018! I hope you all had an amazing Christmas!

I just want to start off by saying a huge thank you to everyone who continuously supports me and my efforts on this blog. Without you there would be no CCC, and your prevailing kindness and encouragement makes every post worthwhile.

Today, I'll just be reflecting on two of my favourite meals eating out this year and also two of my favourite recipes cooked.

Restaurant Meals:

#2 - Slow Cooked Lamb Shank at Istanbul Kitchen,Bexleyheath


I was fortunate enough to try out this new restaurant in Bexleyheath with my family for my Dad's birthday and honestly, I was not disappointed. I had the slow cooked lamb shank and it was so delicious and worth every penny! The lamb fell straight off the bone and the accompanying potatoes and root vegetables were cooked perfectly. The meal itself is VERY filling almost to the point where I couldn't finish it. I would say eating this alone is sufficient, there's really no need to order a starter or dessert. Each component was seasoned very well, I didn't even need to add salt or pepper and the meal came piping hot upon arrival. If you're in the area, I would definitely recommend and for this reason it's the second best meal I've had this year. 


#1 - Wagyu Beef with Mashed Potatoes and a Rocket and Parmesan Salad, Cantinetta Antinori, Monaco


Yes this meal unequivocally gets first place. You may have seen a mention of this in my previous post "Food Review: London to Monaco, Monaco to Cannes!", so you will be aware of how much I enjoyed this meal during my time spent in Monaco. The mashed potatoes in particular have stood firm in my memory as I've never had such silky smooth mash in my life. I even tried to re-create this mashed potato when I returned to London, buying the ingredients that I remember tasting and using a sieve to smooth it. It STILL did not taste as lovely as the original and not to be dramatic, I could move to Monaco just to learn straight from the chef! If you're in Monaco I couldn't recommend this restaurant more, book a flight, and taste for yourself! 


CCC: Discoveries of the Year

Now it's time to look back on myself and think what the two best recipes are that I have created over the year. 


My runner up would have to be my Green Marinade from last weeks post (as seen above on the Salmon). I love slathering it on literally everything, and the ingredients are so simple and fuss free that it can't be messed up! Making this marinade, taught me that simplicity in cooking is also sometimes just as important as developing complex flavours and with a bit of experimentation you can come up with a lifelong staple in your kitchen. 


First place however would definitely go to my Brown Rice and Beans recipe (as seen above). Brown rice has NEVER tasted as good as white rice to me and I've always struggled with incorporating it into my diet as a healthier alternative to white rice. As a Nigerian, rice is a staple in our cooking, and its always been important for me to find ways to enjoy the food that I love with less guilt attached. Discovering this Brown Rice and Beans recipe has changed my perspective on what Brown Rice is and can be. The Mixed Beans add a much needed lift to what would otherwise be a plain and cardboardy carb, and the thyme adds another layer of flavour making this dish one to remember. I hope to be serving my future children this recipe as I think it will never get old! Check out my post Before Year End: Week 3 for the full recipe!



It has been an amazing year, and I am so blessed to be able to see the end of it. I hope that this year has been a good one for you all, and that next year will only hold more blessings to come. I am thankful to God for another successful year of cooking, but in 2019 CCC moves to BIGGER and BETTER things so watch this space! 

Happy New Year to you all. 

CCC: Releasing your inner chef. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Review: Chiquito

THE TWELVE: Week 3

THE TWELVE: Week 12