Journey to the Summer: WEEK 5 (16/04- 22/04)


Good evening all and welcome back to the 5th blog post on my diet and fitness series: Journey to the Summer!

This week, I was eating a bit cheekier I cannot lie. I am still doing really well with portion control and tried to cook more different meals, but unfortunately the pressure of all the delicious foods that my mum was making whilst I was home was too much, and in my last few days at home as you will see below, I cracked. I quickly became aware of my slip ups, and tried to correct them but I promise to be better, I'm back in Uni now and it should be easier to surround myself with good foods only! Many of the meals you see this week I wouldn't necessarily recommend, but I trust you can exercise your discretion and choose the meals which are more apparently healthy. Week 5 goes as follows:

Sunday (925 calories):

Breakfast: 1 Boiled egg with two slices of white seeded bread (316 calories)
Lunch: I came back from church in a time that lulled between lunch and dinner and so decided to just wait and eat dinner as I didn't want to eat past 9pm.
Dinner: Jollof rice with 1/2 grilled plantain, roasted parsnips and beef (609 calories)
  • For the Jollof rice: In a pot, par boil 5 cups of rice. Blend 1 large onion, 1 large red pepper, 1 can of tomatoes and 1 scotch bonnet pepper until smooth. To a large pot, add 4 tbsp. oil to 1 tbsp. palm oil. Add the stew mixture and cook on medium for 10mins. Season with salt, Maggi, pepper, curry powder, 3 bay leaves and any other of your preferred seasonings. Add the rice to the mixture stirring in until all of it is coated in the stew. Allow to cook on low for 20mins. Add 1/2 tube of tomato puree for colour. Adjust seasoning to your preference, add slices of onion and cook until rice is tender.
  • Grill a halved plantain and 3 peeled and cubed parsnips with a little rapeseed oil and salt at 200℃ for 25-30 mins
  • Add beef and serve.
Monday (1,083 calories):

Breakfast: Abuja sweet bread with mackerel stew and a boiled egg (not pictured) (415 calories)
Lunch: Jollof rice, beef, plantain and parsnips (smaller portion of picture above) (319 calories)
Dinner: Small piece of Salmon with bread and butter (not pictured) (349 calories)

Tuesday (1,283 calories):

Breakfast: 2 slices of white seeded toast with 1/2 avocado and an egg (398 calories)
Lunch: IKEA Meatballs and gravy with mash (530 calories)
Dinner: Chicken and shrimp cauliflower fried rice with corn on the cob (355 calories)
  • Toast 1tbsp. chilli flakes, 2 cloves minced garlic and 1 small knob of ginger in 1bsp. rape seed oil. Add chopped chicken breast, shrimps and onions to the pan seasoning with salt and pepper and cooking through. Add 1tbsp. cumin and curry powder to the pan and mix. Add packet of cauliflower rice, mix through adjusting seasoning.
  • Steam corn on the cobb and serve with coriander and a wedge of lime.
Wednesday (1,080 calories):

Breakfast: Corn flakes in semi- skimmed milk (258 calories)
Lunch: Tuna mayo sandwich and 3 Sainsbury's hot and spicy wings (485 calories)
Dinner: Leftover cauliflower fried rice (337 calories) See above for recipe

Thursday (1,005 calories):

Breakfast: Onion and pepper omelette in a wholemeal mini wrap topped with 1/4 avocado (405 calories)
Lunch: Tuna mayo sandwich (255 calories)
Dinner: Haddock fillet with sweetcorn (345 calories)
  • Cook fish according to instructions on packaging
  • Steam sweetcorn and serve.
Friday (1,383 calories):

Breakfast: Corn flakes with semi-skimmed milk (344 calories)
Lunch: 1 tuna mayo wholemeal wrap and 1 bean wrap (404 calories)
Snack: Plantain chips (310 calories)
Dinner: Chicken suya with couscous and 1/2 a grilled plantain (324 calories)
  • For the chicken suya: Season a whole chicken breast with salt and pepper. Coat with suya pepper seasoning and bake for 20mins or until cooked through.
  • Cook couscous in hot water. To a pot add 1tsp. oil and brown 1 small onion. Add couscous seasoning with salt, pepper and garlic granules.
  • 1/2 plantain in some rapeseed oil and salt.
Saturday (918 calories):
Breakfast: 2 Croissants with an egg and an apple (511 calories)
Lunch: I woke up late and so by the time I had finished breakfast it was around 2pm. Decided to just have dinner so skipped lunch as I wasn't hungry.
Dinner: Leftover chicken suya with couscous, plantain and sweetcorn. See above for recipe (406 calories)

This week you can see I had a few cheeky meals, meals in which I know I shouldn't have partaken in. The IKEA meatballs I didn't think was so bad until I searched and entered it into myfitnesspal and saw how many calories it really was! I knew I wasn't having a light meal but I was definitely shocked. That prompted me to check what the calorie and nutrition information of what I was eating was before I eat it, helping avoid situations like that. Now that I'm back at Uni I am able to go back to the gym and work out more, hopefully losing another 6.5kg in my efforts. I know I only have three weeks left but to make up for my lack of gym whilst I was home in London, I may continue this for another 2 weeks, not necessarily blogging, but doing it privately. The grind never stops!


Weeks concluding thoughts: Am I skinny yet?
Seeing how much weight I had lost, from last weeks post had three effects on me. The first was how determined I was to continue this journey and keep up my good work. Then came a dangerous though process of "Since I've lost weight maybe I can have this littttttleee cheat" as you can clearly see reflected in this weeks meals. After snapping out of that and getting myself together again the final effect was one of body image. HEY BODY, AM I SKINNY YET? I say this loosely because I've never wanted to be quote unquote "skinny", but I'm ready to see real changes in my body. I see slight ones, but my impatient nature is manifesting. This coming week I just need to chill out and let gym and nutrition do its thing.

Be sure to follow me on Snapchat: Chrissola, and Twitter/Instagram: Chrissola_ for live cooking and more information on #CCC. Feel free to send me pictures of the meals if and when you choose to make them! Have a blessed day and a great week ahead!  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Review: Chiquito

THE TWELVE: Week 3

THE TWELVE: Week 12